Sweet Potato Biscuits
SWEET POTATO CREAM BISCUITS
2 c. self rising flour
1 stick VERY COLD, salted butter (I freeze mine for about 30 minutes before grating)
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. baked, mashed sweet potato (completely cooled)
1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 t. cinnamon
extra cinnamon and granulated sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. To a medium mixing bowl, add 2 cups self rising flour. (I think White Lily is the best for biscuits)
3. Using a grater, quickly grate one stick of cold butter and add it to the flour mixture.
4. Incorporate the butter into the flour with your hands or a pastry blender until it’s all combined and there are small, pea sized pieces of the butter and flour mixture throughout.
5. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to dough.
6. Add 1/2 cup of whipping cream and 1/2 cup sweet potato to the butter/flour mixture and work it all together with your hands until it’s just combined. If dough is dry, add 1 T. additional whipping cream at a time until dough holds together but is not sticky. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
6. Turn the dough out onto a generously
floured surface. Roll your dough in the same direction to about 3/4 inch thickness.
7. Using a 2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits and arrange them so that biscuits slightly touch one another on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon and granulated sugar.
8. Place on a center oven rack and bake until tops of biscuits are golden brown, about 15-17 minutes.
9. Serve with apple butter or apple jelly and ENJOY!!!!
Makes 20-24 2 in. biscuits, depending on biscuit size and thickness.
These biscuits can also be flash frozen and stored in the freezer. When you are ready to bake, take them out of the freezer and bake frozen according to regular baking directions!